Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Here we go!

Hi again!
Tomorrow will complete a week since I´ve arrived. It is SOOOO good to see everyone again. The family that I´m staying with lives right near the church that our group always worked at and I´m constantly being greeted by people I know when I walk down the street. It makes me feel like I´m right at home.
It´s been fun staying with Rosa and Victor. Rosa has been teaching me how to cook Ecaudorian food and gives Bre and I chores to do..haha. But I like it because I´m learning a lot. She´s very wise and understands North American culture better than my other friends, so I look to her and Victor for advice, or they answer my questions when I´m puzzled by their culture. Their kids are a blast as well. They love to tease and joke. Last night around midnight all of us girls were in our room trying to go to sleep, but we were so tired we had the giggles. Michelle is 15 and last night she was trying to teach us to say a word.. I think is was ¨orthoringoonthologo¨ or something. But we couldn´t say it and we just laughed and laughed and laughed! Sarita is 4 I think, and she is quite the character.. she loves to get into our stuff and climb all over her brother Isaac who is 17.
Late last Friday night I was flossing my teeth and the crown on my tooth fell off! The first thing I thought was "ugh, why did this have to happen here??" I would rather be at home and go to my own dentist. However, I called my cousin who lives here and he got my in touch with a dentist that studied in the US. I called my dentist who said it would cost $1150 to fix. I went to the dentist here and it cost $50. HA! What a blessing! If it had happened in the US I would have spent soooo much more money... Thank you Lord!
SO! You´re probably wondering how things are going in the foundation. Well, we´re off to a really good start. I sat down with Rosa and Victor to help them understand my vision for the foundation and what sort of activities and help I´d like to give to the families. Rosa is just finishing her degree in psychology and also has a lot of experience working in foundations. She even worked for Compassion International. Her and Victor were wonderful when we had our meeting. I would give an idea, Rosa would comment, Victor would say if he agreed or disagreed. They would drill me and each other with questions which helped us find better solutions. Anyway, we´ve organized quite a bit already- decided on what kind of staff we´ll need, how the programs will be run, etc. We´ve made a few changes from what we originally planned on. One being that we´ve decided to run the program outside of the church. Please pray for Rosa and Victor, as well as the leaders in the church that they won´t have hard feelings toward us for that. When we originally talked about the program in 2004 we were going to run it from the church, that´s why I´m asking for prayer in that aspect.
On Saturday a friend of Rosa´s came over and helped us make the budget. She´s an accountant and had some great input. There are still a few things that we need to investigate, but we should know more by the end of the week. The time is already flying by... We all have our own "homework". Rosa and I are going to walk around town to look for places to rent that would be good for the project. Victor is going to visit the other nonprofit organizations to get pamphlets and see what sort of outreaches they are already doing. We´d like to be able to network with these foundations so we can all work together. I´m very please with how things are going so far. Tonight the other 3 members of our little team arrive. The people here don´t know that Anna Cousineau is coming. They often ask about her and it will be a HUGE surprise. I can´t wait!
Well, I´m being summoned.. ha.. Michelle just got here. Until next time!

Emily

1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness Emily, I didn't know that Rosa was getting a degree or that they had worked with Compassion. I can't believe all of the wonderful things happening, I just wish I could be there to be a part of it. Its so hard to hear all the great things you are doing and not be in on it, but I know it is all in God's timing!!! I bet they were all excited to see Anna, I know that Luis sure was! LOL God Bless and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete